The Gaza Health Ministry has announced that five more Palestinians, including children, have died of starvation due to Israel’s blockade of the strip.
On Friday, the ministry reported five deaths “due to famine and malnutrition” in the past 24 hours, including two children.
The latest casualties bring the total number of hunger-related deaths in the strip to 322, including 121 children.
This follows the official declaration of famine in Gaza by the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) – the UN-backed global hunger monitor – which has so far not led to any significant increase in aid to the territory.
Amjad Shawa, the director of the Palestinian Non-Governmental Organizations Network (PNGO), said, “There’s no improvement of the Gaza famine case, no real effort that we could see on the ground to deal with this famine situation.”
“We were expecting that there would be real interventions, pressure from the international community to lift the blockade,” he told the Qatar-based al-Jazeera.
Shawa added that the amount of aid allowed into Gaza was still “very limited " and covered only approximately 10 percent of the population’s needs.